18 February 2010

Even figure skaters have an archives

While I sit here watching the figure skating at the 2010 Olympics, I decided to check out the World Figure Skating Musuem and Hall of Fame. There is an Archives! I figured there would be as they exist for many sports.

From the website: The photograph collection of nearly 20,000 images includes many early tintype and glass negatives. Nearly 1,500 books in more than a dozen languages form the backbone of the Museum's library, along with complete sets of North American and European magazines, newspapers, scrapbooks, private letters, programs, sheet music and historical greeting cards. 

Do you have a figure skating competitor anytime from the 1920s forward? This is the place to contact. Though I would wait a while as I am sure they have been, and continue to be, quite impacted by reporters, broadcasters, and others needing data during the Olympics. It has the "most extensive collection of figure skating materials in the world."

A grade school friend did compete in figure skating -- I wonder if she is represented in the materials that are housed in Colorado Springs, Colorado?

No comments: