27 August 2010

Back from FGS Knoxville

My week in Knoxville for the FGS Conference went by way too quickly. I wrote about its success a few days ago. When I return from a major genealogy conference or institute, I do a number of things in the first few days.
  • Get extra sleep
  • Laundry
  • Send thank-yous to the planners, volunteers, etc.
  • Pay bills
  • Review my lecture PowerPoint and syllabus materials to change things that didn't work as well as I had hoped and to add new details I learned at the conference or from someone at the event.
  • File all the business cards, brochures, and fliers I collected. I do have a couple of business cards that do not contain my usual notation about the reason I was given the card!
  • Put away all the pins and ribbons I wore at the conference -- they go directly into the stack for the next large event.
  • Enter my new book purchases into Library Thing
  • Begin to catch up on email
  • Begin to take care of notes I made, things I promised to send, and sometimes wonder what possessed me to say "yes" to some of those things. 
  • Wish I were back in the midst of the event excitement, education, and most of all the friendly atmosphere.

No comments: